November 30, 2012

How I Feel About This Christmassy Time of Year

Christmas season started.  For mostly people, Christmas does not start until after Thanksgiving.  That's good.  I think Christmas season should start then.  But frankly, when the spirit hits, it should not be ignored.  After all, It's the Most Wonderful Time of the Year and it's only hear a little while!

I love Christmas!  A few days ago, my mom and I were cleaning the house up because I was going to have a friend over.  We happened to have Christmas presents out so we decided to start wrapping them as a way to clean up.  Then, as we got out the bows, ribbons, and paper, I felt it.  The Christmas Spirit.  I skipped away to the kitchen, pulled up Grooveshark and began to add all sorts of Christmassy songs.  My favorite carol used to be "O Come, O Come Emmanuel," but I think my favorite for the words is "God Rest Ye Merry  Gentlemen."  Well, this year I think it has got to be David Crowder's "The First Noel."  I don't know, I just like it :)

I love the colors of Christmas- the red and white and green.  Them seem so warm and cuddly.  Like, when you see them you want to cuddle.  They remind me of the warmth of giving gifts to people you love.  They remind me of family.  I fantasize about cold Christmas nights curled up with the family drinking hot coco around the fire.  I was making a birthday card the other day for my brother.  I drew stick figures in the style of my family, paying careful attention to the height, hair, etc. on the front and said on the inside, "Our family would not be complete without you!"  That card really struck home on how much I love my family.  I mean, his hair mattered, her height mattered.  Because I knew them.  And that's how its supposed to be and anything else isn't them.  (lol, even though they were just stick figures....)

Sitting by the tree brings back so many memories.  I always think of our family tradition to read the Christmas story from Luke by candlelight while drinking eggnog.  My daddy always read it- he has the perfect deep rolling voice.  It reminds me of a cat's purr, probably because he always used to tickle me face with his one-day-unshaven scruff while he pretended to mimic my cat's purr.  I'd giggle and laugh, because hearing daddy purr was hearing how much he loved me- he knows how much I love cats.  All that to say, I loved sitting with the family, reading by candlelight, drinking eggnog on the mattress dragged out for the sole purpose of sleeping by the tree, listening to daddy's voice.

And is it really Christmas if Jason hasn't danced yet?  No, it's not.  Christmas has a series of certain requirements; Jason dancing singing to Bruce Springsteen's "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and TobyMac's "Christmas This Year" is one of those requirements.  When I listen to Christmas music, I am always sure to have those two songs back to back, otherwise I lose the vision of Jason singing and it defeats the point.

So, what' begins your Christmas?  Merry Christmas people and enjoy this Christmassy time of year :)

No comments:

Post a Comment