January 23, 2014

Musings By the Fire

Was P. L. Travers really such a sad person?  Did she love her father that much to change her name, or was it out of some deep regret she wished to mend?  In the movie, Saving Mr. Banks, she hated pears because her father loved them, and she failed to give him pears before he died.  Was that a fragment of fiction?  And if she really didn't hate pears, suppose she did, would she have thrown them out her window?  Is that within her character?

I enjoyed that *English country dance thoroughly, though I might have wished my feet wouldn't have hurt.  I love that sort of thing.  How nice they preserved such a tradition for us modern people.

What kind of person would I be like if I grew up in Regency times?  Would I have been a terrible flirt, since my family would surely have been different and they influence my morals so?  Would my family really be so very different?  If I grew up then, marriage was the expected.  Would my family expect me to marry well, to not be a burden on my father?  You know, I bet my father would be very like he is now.  He would still feel the burden to take good care of us.  I should think my family would want me to marry for love, but I wouldn't say they expected it.  I certainly would marry, but who?  Would he be a great gentleman, meeting moral standards to a tee?  Would he be coarse and dutiful, or would he be tender and gentle?  Perhaps he would be very very rich, or mayhaps I would end up a clergyman's wife.  I don't think I am suited to such a position.

Mother sleeps, her eyes restful and her skin peachy.  She looks like Aurora from Sleeping Beauty.

The log from the fire just fell.  I hope it does not burn a hole in the chimney.  Oh well.


^Such were the musings of my head as I watched our family's fire tonight.
*I recently attended an English country dance with some friends, where we danced in regency fashion like Jane Austen.

4 comments:

  1. On a hilarious but slightly related note, a friend of mine was trying to help me decide what kind of job to get after this internship, and these were her exact words, "I think you would be an excellent pastor's wife!"
    ....no comments are necessary. I'm sure you can vividly imagine my response ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm glad i'm not the only one who's thoughts bounce around in front of fires. :) miss you!

    ReplyDelete